DMS News and Announcements
A Message from the Principal:
Welcome back! I hope all of our DMS families were able to find some time for fun and relaxation this summer. Below, we have a number of updates and important items for our families ahead of students' first day back on Wednesday. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the return to school, please reach out to your child's guidance counselor, or to the DMS Main Office.
Back to School Plans
On August 25, 2021, I presented our DMS Back to School Plans to our School Committee. The video and slide deck presentation can be found here. I encourage families to review those details ahead of Wednesday's first day back. I want to highlight a couple of items here as well:
- Commissioner Riley has instituted a K-12 mask mandate until October 1. The details of that mandate can be found here. Therefore, all students are required to wear masks while indoors at DMS with the exception of when they are eating or drinking (except for those with medical or behavior exemptions).
Student Information Updates
Each summer, you are typically asked to review your student's data and information, and complete a series of permissions for the school year. This year, this process will occur through our Aspen student information system, and an email regarding that process will be out in the coming weeks.
Safety at Student Drop Off and Pick Up
In order to ensure all students who do not take the bus are safely dropped off and picked up from school, please review the following information regarding our procedures this year.
Arriving to School
- Please enter campus from Alden Street by the library and drive SLOWLY around the building until you approach DMS.
- This year, students may be dropped off along the entire distance from the cafeteria patio to the courtyard along the back side of the building (marked by the red line below). As long as your vehicle is pulled immediately next to a sidewalk area (on the driver's side of your car) of the DMS end of the building, you may drop your child off and allow them to walk to the entrance to avoid congestion.
- As much as possible, please have students exit the back seat driver's side of your vehicle.
- No students may be dropped off in ANY staff parking lot.
- Students may enter the building starting at 7:45am. If they arrive earlier than 7:45, they should remain outside on the sidewalk or grassy areas around the entrance.
Dismissing Students Early/ Dropping Off Items
- Drivers should enter campus at the Alden Street entrance and travel SLOWLY around campus as you approach the DMS patio.
- Students will be dismissed from the building at 2:49pm.
- Drivers should queue up along the DMS side of the building starting at the yellow star in the image below, with the sidewalk along the driver's side of the car, and all along the red line.
- Students will be encouraged to walk from the DMS entrance to your car, where you will be able to depart.
- No students may be picked up in ANY staff parking lot.
Dismissals (Early/ Unexpected/ Nurse):
All adults will need to present a valid driver’s license or form of I.D. that they will need to show an office staff member before the student will be allowed to be dismissed with them.
- Early Dismissals- Students must have written permission from their parent or guardian to be dismissed. This permission must include the date, time of dismissal and reason for the dismissal.
- Unexpected Dismissals – Please call ahead to the DMS main office at 781-934-7640 to let us know your student is being dismissed and follow the above protocol. (We would prefer not to interrupt their classes).
- Adults will drive to the DMS side of the building and will need to get out of their car and press the “buzzer” located to the left of the doors on the brick wall. Please note there is no parking near the DMS entrance for visitors. All parking in this lot is for staff members. The DMS office staff will bring your student to the door where a parent/guardian will be able to sign the student out for dismissal.
- The student will show the note to the office and his/her classroom teacher at the time of dismissal and come to the main office where the office staff will walk the student to the DMS doors to collect a parent signature
- Nurse Dismissals – will be managed by our DMS Nurse, Karen Doyle, and will occur at Door # 11 (this door is located on the side of the building).
Dropping Off Forgotten Items
- Adults will drive to the DMS side of the building and will need to get out of their car and press the “buzzer” located to the left of the doors on the brick wall. Please note there is no parking near the DMS entrance for visitors. All parking in this lot is for staff members. The adult will be allowed into the vestibule and may leave the labeled item on the right hand side shelves where students will be able to pick them up.
- Please note that we do not expect parents/guardians to drop off items forgotten by students. In the effort to support a student's growth in independence in preparing for their school day, we encourage parents/ guardians to avoid dropping off forgotten items. A student who forgets their lunch will always be provided one if needed.