WHAT DOES YOUR SCHOOL NURSE DO?
What Your School Nurse Can Do:
- Insure that all students have proper immunizations and physical exams as required by the State of Massachusetts
- Screen students for height, weight, BMI, vision and hearing
- Provide basic first aid for incidents that occur during school hours
- Administer medication as ordered by the student's physician
- Communicate with parents if a student is ill or seriously injured
- Activate Emergency Medical Services if a student experiences a medical emergency
- Assume an active role in keeping students safe and healthy at school
What Your School Nurse Can Not Do:
- Diagnose or treat illnesses or serious injuries
- Give any medication without written permission from parent/guardian AND physician
- Replace good medical care from a family health care provider
"HEALTHY STUDENTS LEARN BEST!"