8th Grade English - Mrs. North
Classroom Guidelines and Expectations
Welcome to eighth grade English! I am excited to work with you and learn more about you and your English skills through our reading and writing this year. In order to successfully complete this class and do well in English this year, you must understand the expectations and guidelines.
Materials necessary for EVERY class:
• Laptop---fully charged
• 3-ring binder or folder for handouts
• White-lined paper (in binder)
• Pencil and blue or black ink pen
• Literature book/novel, depending on unit
**Lost/damaged books will result in a fine/replacement fee
8th Grade Core texts:
- True Grit, Charles Portis
- This I Believe, various authors
- Multi-cultural Short Story Unit
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, William Shakespeare
Supplemental Texts: (we will read 4 of these)
- Seedfolks, Paul Fleischman
- Animal Farm, George Orwell
- Whirligig, Paul Fleischman
- Hope Was Here, Joan Bauer
- The Pearl, John Steinbeck
- The Old Man and The Sea, Ernest Hemingway
- Non-fiction articles/readings throughout year
Be in your seat and ready to start by the bell with all materials
Show respect for ALL members of the class
Participate fully in discussions and activities
Do your own work, unless you’re in a group activity
Obey school rules and be positive role models
No food or drink allowed in the classroom---only water!
•Homework is used to introduce, investigate, reinforce, or reflect on a lesson, and is necessary for participation in the next class
•Homework is due at the beginning of the next class, unless otherwise stated
•Homework assignments are posted on the board and schoology
•Late homework will not receive full credit, and will not be accepted after a week
•Papers and projects will lose 10 points for each day that they’re late
A student has the same number of days as s/he was absent to make up missed work. Contact the office to request missed work. Students who request work to take on vacation need to turn in the work on the day they return to school. Details about absences and vacation work can be found in the DMS handbook.
· Homework= 20%
· Quizzes, Classwork, Poem Memorization, Class Participation= 30%
· Tests, Projects, Writing= 50%
Lap Top Computer Rules:
Bring a laptop to school each day fully charged.
Follow the acceptable use guidelines.
Be responsible and careful with your device.
All polished pieces of writing need to be typed. Students will not be allowed to print during the school day. There will be a set time before and after school for student printing in the library. If a printed copy is required, students should print at home and bring it to school.
At any time during the course of the year, you have questions or concerns please see me immediately. I welcome any comments and I look forward to working with all of you this year!
Mrs. Martha North
Duxbury Middle School--- Room B330
My email address: email@example.com
I have read and understand the following guidelines/expectations.