Frequently Asked Questions about our Program
Who attends the Integrated Preschool?
- Duxbury children who are three or four years old by September 1st are eligible to apply for a space at our preschool.
- Classroom ages vary depending on enrollment. We have mixed age groups of 3 and 4 year olds.
- Students with mild to moderate special needs are included with typically developing peers.
- The Duxbury Integrated Preschool believes inclusion is a basic value that extends to all children. Everyone belongs and everyone is welcome.
What will my child be learning?
- The program is structured around the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks for Preschool (Department of Elementary and Secondary Education - Common Core State Standards)
- They learn through developmentally appropriate practices including play, hands on tasks, and social interactions.
- Students are introduced to the elementary literacy curriculum through Fundations. The Get Set for School Numbers and Math curriculum introduces concepts later developed via the Envision 2.0 district Math program. Click here to access the full Preschool Curriculum Guide
Who will be working with my child?
How many students will be in my child's class?
- Teachers who are highly qualified in the areas of early childhood development and special education, including masters degrees and dual certification through the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Each classroom consists of one head teacher and one to two instructional assistants.
- In many classrooms, speech and language therapists provide whole class and small group instruction and facilitate language centers which benefit the development of early literacy skills and social communication skills in our children.
What is the schedule?
- There are spaces for a total of fifteen students in each class.
- Typically, eight of the spaces are for typically developing peers and seven are for students with developmental needs.
Are there opportunities for me to learn more about the program?
- The preschool follows the Duxbury Public Schools calendar, beginning in early September and concluding in mid June.
- All sessions are half days; either morning or afternoon.
- The program offerings vary depending on the needs of the special education population. For the 2020-2021 school year, we will offer both 2 day (Monday/Wednesday and Tuesday/Thursday) and 4 day (Monday through Thursday) programs.
- Yes! We are hosting an Open House on Friday January 10, 2020 from 10:15-11:00 for parents and future preschoolers. If you are interested in learning more about our program and the enrollment process, please come to our Open House. Meet our teachers, participate in an arts and crafts activity, and watch a slideshow about our program. If you are unable to attend the Open House, you may watch our slideshow of A Typical Day in Preschool
How do I enroll my child?
- Enrollment information and applications will become available starting on January 2nd. Applications will be accepted from January 2 to January 31, 2020. Applications will be available in the Preschool Office and will be available to download from this website starting on January 2nd.
- If the number of applications exceeds the number of available spaces, a lottery will be held.
- Those students whose names are chosen by lottery, will participate in an age-appropriate educational screening (mid-February). The purpose of the screening will be to identify those students whose early development has been occurring as expected (i.e. no early learning, speech, or motor concerns at this time).
- Families will be notified of enrollment status in March, when families will complete an Enrollment Agreement and pay a deposit to reserve their child's space in the program (deposit is one month's tuition and applied toward September's tuition).
Question still not answered or need clarification? Feel free to contact the Integrated Preschool Office at the Chandler School (781-934-7680, Option 3 OR email@example.com). We look forward to being a part of your son or daughter’s early childhood learning experience.