Dear Parents and students:
We believe it is very important for parents to understand the requirements, guidelines, and grading policies for the 7&8th grade band. Band is a performance-based class. Although students will not have “homework” every night, they will be responsible for the following:
Attend one private lesson a week. 50% of the student’s grade is based on private lesson attendance.
The private lesson is the only instruction your son/daughter will receive that will teach them the necessary skills to be successful in band. In band, we are teaching ensemble skills, not individual instrument technique.
The link above contains a slip that must be returned by the third in week in September
Students in private lessons must return a proof of lesson form at the end of each term. Every quarter students will be required to hand in a private lesson evaluation form filled out by their private teacher. Students will receive an incomplete grade until the form is turned in. A list of recommended professional and high school private teachers will be handed out the first day of class.
1. Attend the weekly after school rehearsal. Rehearsals are every Monday from 2:45-3:45. Rehearsals will start Monday September 10th. This is a requirement of Silver Band. Students who miss 2 after school rehearsals, unless absent from school, will take a lower grade for the quarter.
2. Bring their instrument and music to all band rehearsals. Students who do not have an instrument are unable to participate in rehearsal.
3. Attend night concerts and performances. Attend night concerts and performances. Students who are absent from a performance for any reason shall be required to submit a missed concert assignment.
Dress Code for all students at all concerts will be Black Pants and White Tops
4. Practice - Practice is also monitored through student’s progress on various auditions during the year. Students in Silver band should be practicing at least 30 minutes five days a week.
5. Two to four playing auditions- 2 scale tests
6. Class participation, attitude, and effort are also monitored during rehearsal.
Rules that apply to class participation are:
*Arrive at class on time!
*Never leave the classroom without asking for the pass
*Put your instrument in the instrument room or on shelves not on floor! *Do not play with percussion equipment; we finally have some beautiful school owned instruments!!!
Students are expected to come to class ready to rehearse…this means……..
*Spend time out of class on the music being rehearsed
*Keep a pencil in your music folder
*Keep your instrument in good working condition
*Always put forth all your effort
*Have a supportive and positive attitude towards the music and each other
*Wait quietly while other sections are working
*Do not talk while the conductor is speaking
*Have an open attitude towards music that is unfamiliar:-)
Holiday Band Concert - Thursday, December 13th @ 7:30
All Band Night - Thursday, February 7th
Spring Concert - Tuesday, May 21th @ 7:30
Jill Noerenberg, Ric Madru